Fishing and Dock Your Boat
Nehalem Bay is Oregon’s fourth largest bay and is a favorite among fisherfolk because of its proximity to Portland.
Bring your own boat and moor it on our dock ($10 per night). Or reserve a crab/motorboat next door at Wheeler Marina http://wheelermarina.com/. They sell fishing/crabbing licenses and tackle and also have a crab cooker.
- This bay is known for summer and fall runs of Chinook salmon.
The season begins in early July and continues into November.
- Coho Salmon appear August through October.
- Steelhead are present November to April, with February and March being the best time.
- Cutthroat Trout are year-round, with the best time being mid-July through mid-September.
- Crabbing is year-round, and September through December will be the meatiest.
You’ll also find Steelhead trout, Sturgeon, and excellent crabbing.
Cleaning, storing, and cooking your catch:
There is a cleaning station on the dock.
Bring your own outdoor crab boiler, and cook your own crabs on the dock or the patio. Please, no bait, fish, or crab in your room’s refrigerator; we have freezer space for your catch. Bring a cooler to store anything that you don’t wish to store in our freezer. Ice is available at the liquor store, only two blocks away.